Popups are an important part of ecommerce, helping raise conversion rates and guide visitors toward making a purchase.
Popup plugins for WordPress come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and pricing plans. Just be careful when choosing a WordPress popup plugin because there are some poorly designed ones out there that can turn building even the simplest popup forms into a time-consuming nightmare!
That won’t happen with any of the entries on our list of the best WordPress popup plugins.
Let’s get started!
What to look for in a WordPress Popup Plugin?
Before jumping into the list of popular WordPress popup plugins, it’s worth talking about what makes a popup builder good.
1. A functional drag and drop editor
A clear, easy-to-use drag and drop editor is one thing that separates the best WordPress popup plugins from the rest.
Being able to easily customize popups to match the look and feel of your WordPress website really makes a difference to the customer experience.
2. Elegant themes and pre-built templates
The best WordPress popup plugins give you lots of pre-built templates to choose from. And a good plugin should allow you to create different types of popups: sticky bars, side messages, and fullscreen popups.
It’s also important that look for a popup plugin that allows you to create and modify themes. These design choices (like background color and fonts) can be applied to all the popup campaigns you create, saving you lots of time.
3. Advanced targeting options
The ability to control which segments of users see different campaigns is essential for making the most of your popups. It ensures that your users only see messages that are relevant to them, avoiding the annoyance that comes with seeing lots of irrelevant website popups.
It’s worth checking out which targeting options a WordPress popup plugin offers on different payment tiers. To get access to advanced features and targeting options, you might need to pay for a premium version of a popup plugin.
4. Powerful popup analytics
Popup analytics are crucial because you need to be able to track how well your popups are performing. At a minimum, you should be able to integrate your popup plugin with Google Analytics, but some of the best popup plugins offer dedicated, in-depth popup analytics.
A/B testing is another important feature, since comparing alternative versions of your campaigns is the best way to optimize your conversion rates.
What are the best WordPress popup plugins?
Pricing: Free, or from $29 a month
OptiMonk’s comprehensive, powerful popup builder plugin offers lots of features while retaining a very user-friendly experience and interface. That’s why we think it’s the best WordPress popup plugin out there.
OptiMonk has a drag and drop builder that allows you to create a popup from scratch or hit the ground running with one of their 300+ pre-built popup templates.
Even better, you can take advantage of as many of them as you like, since OptiMonk’s free version allows you to create unlimited popups.
You can find templates specifically designed for different popup use cases like shopping cart abandonment, collecting email addresses, and many more.
In addition, choosing OptiMonk grants you access to cutting-edge WordPress popups, such as lucky wheel popups and conversational popups. These are responsive popups that draw users in by enticing them to interact.
- Mobile-optimized popup templates: Every popup will look just as good on a mobile device as on a computer screen.
- 30+ intelligent targeting and triggering options: You can target based on traffic source, browsing history, geotargeting, and other factors.
- Countdown timers: Add a ticking clock to your popup campaigns to raise the sense of urgency.
- A/B testing: Build multiple versions of your popups and test which ones perform best.
- Manage multiple campaigns with ease: Use the UX protection stack and the advanced campaign management features to make sure your popups never annoy your visitors.
- 30+ email and CMS integrations.
- Google, AdBlock & GDPR safe.
You can boost your revenue by at least 10% by using OptiMonk’s popup builder compared to any other popup solution. That’s why OptiMonk is simply the best free WordPress popup plugin you could choose!
Pricing: Free, or from $49 a year
Elementor is primarily known for its advanced website builder, but it also offers a popup plugin for WordPress.
Their drag and drop interface for building popups allows you to customize your popups easily, and they also have many templates to choose from.
Elementor is a great WordPress popup plugin that also offers some advanced features, such as targeting, but their free plan doesn’t support the popup builder feature.
- Beautiful popup forms: You can create your own contact and opt-in forms to capture customer data.
- Elementor integrates with many email marketing services and CRM platforms.
Pricing: From $14/month
OptinMonster helps ecommerce stores generate leads by using popups and inline forms. They offer many types of popup forms with reliable features.
If you can make full use of OptinMonster’s many advanced features, you’ll be able to grow your email list and improve your conversion rate. However, there is no free plan—which means that accessing these features requires a substantial investment.
- Add and edit elements like a timer, contact forms, and images so your popups blend in with your WordPress website. It’s a visual drag and drop builder, so there’s no coding required.
- OptinMonster gives you access to tracking and targeting tools, including geo-location, page-level targeting, and an “InactivitySensor.”
Pricing: Free, or $39 a month
Sumo is great for creating exit popup forms that nudge visitors to join your email marketing list.
They have a variety of contact form templates that allow you to create popups without putting much work in. Since this WordPress popup plugin is devoted to building email opt-in forms, there aren’t many options for those who want to use cart abandonment popups or other types of popups.
- Welcome emails: Within Sumo’s system, you can set up welcome emails that go out as soon as someone subscribes.
- GDPR compliance: You’ll create popups that comply with European data regulations.
Pricing: From $45 a month
The HubSpot WordPress Plugin is more than a popup plugin: it’s a platform that integrates a range of marketing tools—from Customer Relationship Management (CRM) to live chat and a landing page builder.
This has some drawbacks when looking at HubSpot as a WordPress popup plugin.
For instance, HubSpot’s popup builder doesn’t offer as many customization options as other popup plugins on this list.
- Once someone fills out your pop-up form, they’re automatically brought into HubSpot CRM, where you can continue to nurture them into a loyal customer.
6. Thrive Leads
Pricing: $30 a month
Thrive Suite is an online website builder that also allows you to build popups for WordPress.
They have two popup builders that create different types of popups. Their Thrive Leads product helps you design popups for generating email subscribers, while Thrive Ultimatum is for creating high-conversion exit popups.
Unfortunately, there’s no free version of Thrive Leads.
- Actionable Reporting & Insights: Thrive Suite’s analytics platform allows you to gain insight into your exit popup performance.
- Drag and drop interface.
Pricing: Free, or from $29 a month
You can create several types of popups with Popupsmart. Their popup editor has a drag and drop interface that allows you to design popups without any coding knowledge.
- Display features: Choose from several display triggers based on behavior, timing, and page views.
- Templates: Popupsmart has a variety of popup templates to get you started.
Pricing: Free, or from $25 a month
A WordPress popup from Poptin has a specific look. It’s bright, colorful, and a little bit cartoony. If this aesthetic fits with your brand, you might want to consider this WordPress plugin!
Poptin has a large library of popup templates that allow you to create responsive popups.
- Performance report: Poptin tracks how each WordPress popup is performing and sends you the resulting data in an easy-to-understand graphical format.
- Email marketing integration: The platform seamlessly integrates with many popular email marketing services and CRM platforms.
9. Popup Maker
Pricing: Free, or from $87 a year
The last WordPress popup plugin we’ll cover is a lightweight yet powerful tool for creating popup campaigns.
One unique feature of Popup Maker is that you can create video popups in addition to popups with custom images. It’s a great option for brands that have video content they want to show off.
Although this WordPress popup plugin is free, you won’t be able to create any exit-intent popups without upgrading to the premium version.
- Visual Theme Builder: Helps you adapt templates to match the look of your site and remembers your choices for next time.
- Device targeting: Gives you the option to show different exit-intent popups based on whether your visitors are on a Mac, PC, phone, or tablet.
That’s our list of the 9 best WordPress popup plugins! Hopefully, you’ve found a popup plugin that’s just right for your WordPress site.
A great list-building popup plugin will allow you to generate leads and increase your revenue.
Which popup plugin is your favorite? Let us know in the comments!